Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Van Gogh Cafe by Cynthia Rylant




With a title like The Van Gogh Cafe and an author by the name of Cynthia Rylant, I was instantly intrigued by the book. Since one of my favorite Van Gogh paintings is Cafe Terrace at Night and because I hold Rylant in such high esteem as an author, I had high expectations for this short story and I certainly was not disappointed! My initial impression of the book prior to reading it led me to believe that it would be quirky and artsy. I wasn't sure if the book would have any deep underlying messages. Rylant is known for her range of literature. Many of her stories speak to the most profoud of human experiences and leave the reader feeling contemplative. Other stories by Rylant are written in a more simplistic and fun way such as Poppleton and Henry and Mudge. The Van Gogh Cafe falls in both categories, which makes this story so unique and engaging!

After having read the book, I immediately wanted to take a trip to Kansas and get a cup of coffee at the Van Gogh Cafe. Who wouldn't want to after reading this story? Honestly, I have never had any desire to visit Kansas prior to reading this book. Sprawling flat fields and the constant threat of tornados have always made me shy away from the remoteness of this midwestern state. The book gives similiar accounts of Kansas and this is what makes The Van Gogh Cafe so alluring. Rylant references how The Van Gogh Cafe is situated near the I70 corridor. Travelers heading east or west often stop at the cafe before heading off to start a new life. Rylant explains, "But sometimes someone is new, for Flowers sits near I70, which people take when they are escaping an old life from the East to a new life in the West or the other way around." I immediately made personal connections to this statement. I have known many friends who have decided to travel and live out west to start a new chapter in their lives. Many of us have probably had similiar desires. Conquering the West has been the goal of many within our country for hundreds of years. The West has symbolized endless possibilities. The Van Gogh Cafe represents these same ideas because it is described as a place where "anything is possible", even fulfilling personal desires. I think of the Van Gogh Cafe as a midpoint between an old life or old way of thinking and a new life experience. Obviously, the travelers and inhabitants of Flowers, Kansas were drawn to the cafe because of the magic and endless possibilities found there.

Rylant provided wonderful and creative transitions from chapter to chapter. The ending statement from each chapter had a "To Be Continued" effect, which kept me interested in the next magical event that was about to unfold. Each magical occurence that happened throughout the book was equally entertaining and enjoyable. I had so much fun making predictions about the oddities that would occur based on the chapter headings. My favorites were the Magical Muffins, The Wayward Gull and The Star. While most of the magical events were whimsical, The Star was much more somber and emotional for me. For those who haven't read the story, I will not give it away but it brought a tear to my eye.

Rylant did an exquisite job of using fantasy and magic to unveil humans' desire for excitement and intrigue. Many of us would like to turn our ordinary lives into something extrodinary. The book concludes with the chapter titled The Writer. This character had given up hope on pursuing his dreams because he was rejected for his unique writing style. Being at The Van Gogh Cafe revitalized his aspirations when he realized that Vincent Van Gogh only sold one painting during his lifetime. This artist was shunned because he was unconventional. The Van Gogh Cafe made the Writer recognize his gift. What a great message to convey as a way of concluding this excellent story!

4 comments:

Megan said...

I had a lot of the same reactions to this book as you did. Like you, I love Van Gogh's painting.
You provided some wonderful insight to the story that I did not pick up on. For example, I did not see how people moving West to start a new life and conquer new territory related to this book, but it definately was connected to the cafe! I also did not pick up on a huge theme throughout the story, which is how humans desire excitement in their lives. This is just what they found at the Van Gogh cafe!

LLozaw said...

Unlike you, I did not enjoy this book at all. I was left with some questions. I don't know. I just couldn't relate or connect to this story too much. I did like the ending, though, when the writer realized Van Gogh only sold one painting and he's such an incredible and noteworthy artist. Just because you're unconventional and don't fit the norm doesn't mean you are not talented. I did post about how the cafe reminds me of a restaurant my family and I go to about once a week and we know everyone. We enjoy the friendly atmosphere like the Van Gogh Cafe.

Wendy said...

I really like your thought process about how people are going out west, in the crossroads of America in Kansas, to explore and "magically" start anew. Even though the book was a light and quick read, it still left me with thought provoking ideas about humans and their emotional needs. Throughout any of Rylant's diverse works, the theme of human interactions and interdependence spring up, and bring out what is good about humans. I like how people are never really left isolated in the stories and how the storyline is nurtured in the warm and inviting setting of the cafe in an old theater. I enjoyed it.

Hillary said...

With the last chapter, I wondered if he was the "writer" of the Van Gogh Cafe. It may have been related to the qustions left by the Coda from Despereaux. But, I thought that perhaps he was inspired to write about the Van Gogh Cafe and dreamt up the magic of each chapter. I think my interpretation is wrapped up in the fact that I couldn't buy into the magic of each chapter. I was looking for some other explanation for it all.