Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Bookshop Dog by Cynthia Rylant


I am so pleased that we have the opportunity to read and discuss Cynthia Rylant picturebooks! I find her stories so endearing!

I always enjoy reading Cynthia Rylant picturebooks to my first graders! She does an outstanding job of portraying human vulnerability and our need for companionship. Rylant's books capture the powerful bonds that humans have with each other and with animals.

One of her picturebooks that I haven't read until recently is The Bookshop Dog. When I looked at the inside jacket, I discovered that Rylant illustrated this book. A photograph is included on the inside jacket and this photo is of Rylant with her dog Martha Jane. The author description also stated that Rylant has two cats and two dogs. She must be an animal lover like me! This background knowledge of Rylant explains the premises for many of her books about animals such as Henry and Mudge, The Old Woman Who Named Things and The Great Gracie Chase among others. I always enjoy engaging my children in these stories because kids love reading about animals. For many students, they can make immediate connections because so many children have pets at home.

The Bookshop Dog is about a woman who decides to name her bookshop after her beloved dog, Martha Jane. ( I wonder if this is somehow autobiographical =) ) When I began reading this book for the first time, I instantaneously was reminded of Rylant's story The Old Woman Who Named Things. The first page of The Bookshop Dog reads, " Once there was a woman who loved her dog so much that she could hardly bear to be away from her." This opening is quite similiar to "Once there was an old woman who named things." When I read this opening line of The Bookshop Dog, I wanted to discover whether or not there were any other similarities between the two stories. As I continued reading, I realized that this story is more lighthearted and comical.

I found myself attending to the details of Rylant's illustrations. They have a child-like quality to them and I believe that children would appreciate seeing picturebooks with illustrations that they could emulate. Rylant included environmental print (signs, labels, etc.) within her illustrations in the same manner that many of my students depict through their own drawings.

Rylant's sense of humor comes through in this story. Martha Jane is a dog that the entire town learns to love. In fact, the townspeople love her so much that they begin fighting over who will take care of her when Martha's owner becomes ill. The bickering and arguing that ensues made me laugh out loud and I know that children would do the same. I recommend reading this book if you enjoy sentimental and humorous stories about the relationships between humans and canines. I know my First Graders will get a kick out of this witty Rylant picturebook.

3 comments:

LLozaw said...

This book was not in my school library and I bet if it was, I would have had a hard decision about which book I should have gotten. It would have been between this one and The Great Gracie Chase (which I did get.) I never really became too interested in dog stories before I had a dog of my own. (I had a couple dogs growing up, but my parents really took care of those.) I know my students would love me to read this one. I have a child in my class who wants to be a "pet doctor" as she says. She loves when I read books about animals, but especially dogs. What Kindergartener doesn't love stories about animals? A lot of kids have dogs so they can really make those text-to-self conections. And, for kids who don't have a dog, most know someone who does, so they can also make those important connections. I look forward to getting my hands on a copy so I can share this seemingly funny story with my class!

Tricia said...

I also read "Dog Heaven" by Cynthia Rylant and I felt the same things that you felt. She also illustrated this book, and the pictures really reminded me of child's artwork, making it that much more enjoyable. The point of view also seems like it is from a child. I really enjoyed reading it. I've never had a dog, but I could really picture dogs having a blast in this vision of "dog heaven". I probably would be a little more emotional if I read her book "Cat Heaven". I think she is a great writer for all ages!

JulieAnne said...

I love this book! I didn't even know it was Cynthia Rylant! I'm so glad you chose this book to review. I was starting to feel that Rylant focused on the touching "family" and "friend" type books...but this is just a lot of fun to read. It helps me realize just how vast her repetoir is. Thanks!