Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Mirette on the High Wire



As I was looking at various Caldecott Award Winning picturebooks trying to decide which one to choose for this initial posting, I decided to select Mirette on the High Wire. During last night's class, we were introduced to another Caldecott Award Winner titled The Man Who Walked Between the Towers. I immediately was able to draw parallels between these two books.

For those who haven't read Mirette, it is a fictional story about a young girl who meets a mysterious man at a boardinghouse. The young girl Mirette discovers that this man, named Bellini could walk on a high wire. She would witness him practicing on the high wire outside in the courtyard. She became so mesmerized by watching him that she decided to learn how to master the high wire.

Although Bellini assisted Mirette in learning the high wire, it isn't until later in the story that the truth about Bellini's past comes to haunt him. Bellini was well-known throughout the world for his daring spirit on the high wire. However, fear overcame him and he decided to give up his passion. Mirette was devastated to discover that her mentor had let fear destroy his spirit. Bellini's fondness of Mirette helped him conquer his fear and they both performed on the high wire together.

I am fond of this story for a number of reasons. I appreciate how McCully integrated various themes throughout the story. These include friendship, the power of courage, and perseverance. Mirette and Bellini both learned from each other but it was Mirette who saved Bellini's spirit. I can relate to the positive impact that children can have on adults. Children offer fresh, untainted perspectives about life and can help adults regain their idealism.

I am also impressed by the illustrations in the story. Since the story takes place in 19th century Paris, the author was able to capture impressionistic styles in the watercolor illustrations. Many of the illustrations reminded me of 19th century artists such as Renoir, Monet and Callebotte (I was an Art History Major=). These are some of my favorite artists and 19th century Parisian Art is fascinating to me!

I was able to make a text to text connection between Mirette and the Man Who Walked Between the Towers. When Mirette witnessed Bellini on the high wire, she was "enchanted" because it seemed so "magical". Similiar language was used in The Man Who Walked Between the Towers when people saw Phillipe walking the tight rope between the twin towers. Both stories spoke to the human desire for adventure. Some of us have it more than others! Both Mirette and Philippe had the same desires that they strove to fulfill. However, I felt that Mirette as a character was portrayed with more depth than Phillipe because of the powerful human connection between Mirette and Bellini. I was more emotionally drawn to Mirette's story.

3 comments:

JulieAnne said...

Heather, this sounds like a book I will need to get. I'm trying to introduce my children to appreciating art now, and I had not thought about using beautiful pictures in a picture book. Your recommendation of the book as a former art scholar sounds like what I should use with them. Since I enjoyed The Man Who Walked Between the Towers and draw parallels between these two books, I am also drawn to it. Interesting that this book shows the adult with issues vs. the child. I think that's an important lesson to share with children too; adult are not perfect!

Elizabeth Lipp said...

Heather, feel that so many times throughout life, not only do children expect adults to be perfect, but adults expect adults to be perfect. Therefore, it sounds as though one of the themes in this book could apply to any age reader, that humans, no matter what age, are not perfect. It sounds like it is also a good theme to “get back on the high wire”, even after we have been defeated by it once, and try to overcome our fears again. So many times the things that were our loves, become our fears, and we leave them forever, never to return to them. In this case, the fear is falling. I would predict that this book could be a good lesson introduction into character building and development.

I, too, love the paintings or Renoir and Monet. I also had the excitement of going to Paris this summer, so I am going to have to read this book to myself and my class for a combination of reasons, character development and illustration pleasures. 

Megan said...

This sounds like a great book! Just looking at the cover picture made me want to read it even more! It sounds like people of all ages can relate to it. I like that it contains the theme that humans are not perfect. That is a great lesson to share with students. I am glad you made the connections to The Man Who Walked Between the Towers because I enjoyed that book as well, and I can see the similarities between the two books. Because of the illustrations, this book seems like it could be used in the classroom to relate to the history of 19th century Paris or to art. I'm going to have to check this book out from the library!