Sunday, February 25, 2007

Missing May by Cynthia Rylant


Ode to Cynthia Rylant! I guess I should re-name my blog and dedicate it to her but this will probably be my last posting on a Cynthia Rylant book for this course. I have to give other fantastic children's authors some due attention and well deserved credit!

I have completed another satisfying Rylant story that left me feeling introspective and hopeful. Missing May provides a truthful and intimate account of a young girl named Summer who is dealing with the death of her aunt. Summer had been rejected by her family and May was the only family member who took her in and loved her unconditionally. The first person perspective reveals the emotions and difficulties that Summer experiences trying to move on from her beloved aunt's death. Throughout the story, I empathized with Summer and her Uncle Ob. It made me think more deeply about mortality and I referred to my own losses. The descriptions of May conjured memories of my own Grandmother who died when I was a teenager. I remember witnessing my father's grief and I can remember how my Grandmother's absence affected me. My Grandmother was similiar to May. There are those people who are so virtuous and unselfish that they impact your life long after their death. May was that kind of person. She made Summer feel wanted and loved and May's husband didn't know how to go on without her.

Ob's reaction to his wife's death made me think of all the stories we hear about when one spouse dies, the other gives up on life and dies shortly thereafter. Summer was hurt by the fact that Ob seemed to be giving up on life. Summer was devastated that Ob didn't seem to be motivated to go on with life for her sake. In his own way, Ob tried to deal with his loss by searching for a spiritual connection with May. Maybe this would bring a sense of closure that would enable him to move on with his life. Therefore, he, Summer, and another young boy ventured across the state of West Virginia to meet with someone who could mediate this re-connection. Throughout the story, I hoped that the characters found what they were searching for and I was unsure how they would be able to come to terms with their loss.

Summer and Obe were in a state of limbo. They were completely consumed with their loss and needed some way to get on with their lives. This is a very natural reaction to death and Rylant reveals this common human experience effectively. The most heartwarming passage in the story is when Summer makes a spiritual connection with May. At the end of the book, Summer hears May's voice and May is telling Summer how much she meant to her. This was a very emotional and uplifting passage that would make just about anyone cry. I was moved by the sentimentality and Summer's reaction to May's voice. Finally, Summer and Ob could experience closure, but they would never forget May. She would remain an inspiring presence in their lives.

I am interested to find out whether or not this is considered to be a controversial book since it deals so intimately with death. As with Bridge to Terabithia, I believe that Missing May provides a valuable learning opportunity for children. Many children have experienced loss in their lives. They have either felt unwanted or have lost someone they loved. This story can reassure them that these feelings of loneliness and helplessness are completely normal and acceptable reactions. For those students who haven't had direct experiences with death or loss, they will be able to take the message from Missing May and apply it to their own experiences when they deal with these issues in their future. It will also enable students to empathize with those who have had these experiences.

Rylant kept me emotionally invested throughout the story and I was able to draw from my own experiences to deepen and enrich my interpretation of the story.

4 comments:

Katie Grace said...

I agree with you that this book really draws on the reader's previous experiences with death or family hardships. When I first read this book a few years ago, I know I kept drawing connections between her family and mine. Now when I think of this book, I'm reminded of that emotional connection I had with it before, not really remembering all the details. I guess I'll be reading it again soon!

Megan said...

I really liked the personal connections you made to this book. I will admit that I didn't really like this book all that much when I read it. I didn't not like it, I just didn't love it. But reading your personal connections made me like it a little bit more. Maybe I should give it another chance, trying to relate it more to myself and my own experiences.

Kathy Kryscio said...

I am glad to hear you found the book hopeful. I, too, felt sad and empathy for Ob and Summer, but also was excited in the end when it seemed as if they completed their own healing and grief. Now that you mention it, I am curious to hear if this book was critized for the discussion of death. I was thinking the book would be best suited for children 4th grade and above, thinking at that age, the reader could make or envision those text to self connections. I enjoyed the book, but also found myself thinking of my Grandmother who passed away when I was 13. I also gave Rylant kudos for her Newberry Medal book, I thought her character development was very impressive. What did you think of Cletus- I thought he was a hoot!

Suzanne said...

This was not a book I enjoyed reading. The ending left me wanting more because I didn't really feel we had resolution for Ob at the end of it. I too made many personal connections with this book. In retrospect, perhaps the reason that I didn't enjoy the book was that it brought to mind so many unpleasant memories.