Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo


Kate DiCamillo showcased her versatility as an author in this fantasy adventure! I was consumed by the events that unfolded from start to finish. When I initially read the synopsis of the story, I surmised that the book would chronicle the lighthearted adventures of a mouse. The simplicity I imagined would dominate the storyline was not evident. Instead, DiCamillo brilliantly and creatively used elements from fairy tales to create a complex and exciting tale that addressed many important themes including loyalty, revenge, and jealousy.

Despereaux was a devoted, determined, and misunderstood little mouse. He was ostracized by his mouse community because he daringly escaped the walls of the castle in which he lived to explore what went on within the castle. Despereaux's encounter with the Princess Pea changed his life and he vowed to devote his life to her. DiCamillo used forshadowing to entice the reader throughout the story. Before Despereaux decided to leave the walls of the castle, he was being instructed by his brother on how to nibble away at paper. The paper that he happened to be nibbling on had the phrase, "Once upon a time...." DiCamillo foreshadows the upcoming events in the story by describing Despereaux's reactions to these words. " Once upon a time, he said aloud relishing the sound. And then, tracing each word with his paw, he read the story of a beautiful princess and the brave knight who serves and honors her. Despereaux did not know it, but soon he would have to be very brave himself." This excerpt is one example of how DiCamillo effectively sets the stage for each scene that is about to unfold.

I enjoyed how DiCamillo spoke directly to the reader. This language made me feel as though I was partaking in the adventure. DiCamillo used outstanding vocabulary throughout the text to describe situations. The word "perfidy" continues to pop up in my mind, even after reading the story. I have never read a book that calls the reader's attention to such interesting words as does The Tale of Despereaux. This is due, in part, to DiCamillo addressing the reader by calling attention to the words. This was a great way to get children and adults to notice interesting vocabulary.

Although Despereaux was the protagonist, I did sympathize with Chiarscuro (what a great name, it made me think of artists such as Rembrandt) and Mig. These characters were well developed. DiCamillo provided wonderful accounts of these characters' past experiences and circumstances that drove them to jealousy and revenge. Of course, things ended happily for these characters but their suffering was profound throughout the story. Oftentimes, children's fairy tales do not give background information about the antagonists. DiCamillo revealed that there are reasons behind why people/characters become vengeful. This is a powerful message that can be translated to real-life situations.

DiCamillo's book Because of Winn Dixie was one of my favorite children's books, and now that I have read The Tale of Despereaux, this great adventure also tops the list!

4 comments:

Megan said...

I agree with what you said about how the author talking directly to the reader drew you into the story.
I also really liked the name Chiaroscuro. For some reason, that is one of the few literary terms that has stuck with me from middle and high school. All I can remember about it is the play of good and bad, light and dark, in the Scarlet Letter. I think that DiCamillo named the rat this to show the play of good and bad within him.
I just checked out Because of Winn-Dixie from the library and am looking forward to reading it!

LLozaw said...

I wrote in my post that I felt really sorry for Mig. Even though the Princess Pea also had lost her mother, I just didn't feel quite as bad for her. I think what really got me was the fact Mig had been sold to a man and then this man abused her. What a terrible life!

I also liked how the author engaged the reader by "talking" to them. I was "answering" all of the questions!

I've read Because of Winn-Dixie and LOVE that story! I can't wait to read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I heard it's wonderful!

Amber Lacy said...

I personally did not enjoy the author speaking directly to me. I have enjoyed it in other books, but not this one. Maybe it was the way she kept saying "Reader." I don't know why, but it didn't sound right to me.

I just finished reading the unabridged version of Peter Pan; Jim Barrie also spoke to the reader. However, he addressed to reader as "you". Perhaps I just found it more personal, but I enjoyed it in Peter Pan. It added a lot of humor and personalization to the story.

Maybe it was just the rough week I was having; I've already promised myself that I am going to go back an reread much of the book. Maybe this time, it won't bug me as much.

Anonymous said...

omg dude im reading this book with my whole class and guess wat were gonna go to the theatres after we finish the book which is kewl
ur great author kate dicamillo i really like the book tiger rising which was sad and i like tale of despereaux im gonna read your other books too cuz they r really greatt i already read because of winnie dixie which is a great book too i love how u say dear reader because u r talking to the person who is reading it so great job kate dicamillo