Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia


I was really excited to learn that I would be reading one of my all-time favorite children's books, Bridge to Terabithia. Admittedly, I had not read this book since the sixth grade when it was required of me. It was one of the few instances when I had the opportunity to read quality literature as opposed to short stories from a basal. Bridge to Terabithia left a positive impression on me and I remember being able to closely relate to the characters. Patterson intended to write a story about the struggles that children experience in their adolescent years. While these trials may seem insignificant to some adults, they are very real to children. Patterson's characters built a friendship that helped them cope and come to terms with their fears and feelings of isolation.

Now that I have read Bridge to Terabithia from an adult perspective, it conjured up many of the same feelings that I had growing up. My formative years impact me to this day. I was, however, able to read the story and appreciate it in an entirely different way. Themes such as overcoming fear that are embedded throughout the story are life-long experiences that we all face well into adulthood.

The protagonist Jess Aarons had many fears that prevented him from truly being content. He was afraid of what others' perceptions were of him and he was afraid to take risks. Leslie, however, became an unexpected friend to Jess. Although Jess perceived Leslie as a threat because she was a faster runner, Jess learned to look past his own insecurities by befriending Leslie. She was considered an outcast by her peers. Although Leslie was upset by this, she did not let others' opinions compromise who she was. I believe that Jess was impressed by Leslie's ability to handle adverse situations. Leslie revealed to Jess how she was able to overcome others' perceptions of her. She gave Jess the gift of escape. Terabithia was a magical re-treat both of them used to get away from their everyday problems.

As an adult, I have learned the importance of having an outlet or escape that enables me to take a break from the everyday challenges we oftentimes face. We all need to find ways to take time for ourselves to help manage stress. For me, I am able to do this by reading a good book or by going running. For Jess and Leslie, they went to Terabithia.

I find it interesting that this has been considered a controversial book. Although the book ends tragically because of Leslie's death, I believe this makes the message of the book resonate strongly with those who read it. Jess was able carry Leslie's memory with him and he was able to see his life from a different perspective. Jess learned what was most important and he began building a stronger relationship with his younger sister as a result of the tragedy. This book addresses the notion that people can survive, overcome, and learn from tragedy. I believe that older children are capable of confronting these realities.

I will admit that I am slightly reluctant about how the movie will portray the characters and storyline. I always envisioned this as a simple story that doesn't warrant endless special effects and fantastical scenes. Hopefully, the movie will not go overboard with the special effects. I am looking forward to seeing the movie!

No comments: