Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Time for Kids: Presidents of the United States - Informational Book


Did you know that during his presidency, Ulysees S. Grant was pulled over for speeding in his horse-drawn carriage? Or, did you know that James Monroe was the very first president not to wear a wig during public appearances? These facts, among many other interesting trivia about United States presidents are revealed in the book, Presidents of the United States, published by Time Life for Kids. As a child, I was always fascinated by our past presidents. I remember taking the time to memorize the order in which each president served our country. I wouldn't consider myself a history buff, but the lives of presidents always interested me. These men served as an anchor that enabled me to make sense of the sequence of events that took place throughout our nation's brief history.

Although I devoted time to learning about the presidents, I always had difficulty remembering what many have labeled "the forgettable presidents." Admittedly, The life of Millard Fillmore didn't really pique my interests until I just read that his wife was a teacher who was responsible for having the first library installed in the White House. Time Life For Kids is an appealing book because it blends interesting facts that will capture the reader's attention with valuable, succinct information that puts into perspective the historical context that affected each presidency. Every president left a mark that impacted the course of events that shaped our country's history.

I have noticed that as a classroom teacher, when I teach students about the lives of past presidents, the students are always fascinated by the humorous trivia that make great leaders such as George Washington and Abraham Lincoln seem more "human". Children look to these figures almost as superheros because adults teach them as iconic symbols of our country. My students loved to hear about Lincoln's naughty children making a mess of the White House. My children also loved learning about George Washington's battle with tooth decay. It was a revelation when they noticed that he never smiled in any of his portraits. Books such as George Washington's Teeth , although silly, captivated the students and got them interested in learning about the lives of the presidents. The publishers of Time for Kids incorporated facts that would keep their target audience invested.

Other key features that make this book a valuable reference for children are the timelines that are included at the bottom of each double page spread as well as the photographs and accompanying captions that offer visuals of the time period in which each president served. I found it interesting how the timelines on each page spanned two presidencies. However, presidents Washington, Lincoln, F.D.R, Truman, Clinton, and W. Bush were given an entire double page spread. I understand the reasoning for this because most of these presidents served during times of war. Clinton and George W. are our most recent presidents which explains why they as well were allotted more space than other presidents.

Another valuable feature of the book is the section devoted to the nation's First Ladies. I thought, however, that the book could have gone into more depth about some of these women's accomplishments and contributions. Finally, the book offers a "President's At a Glance" page as well as a detailed map of the White House with accompanying historical facts. This would be a great classroom resource!

2 comments:

LLozaw said...

This book really does sound like a great resource. In Kindergarten, we learn about Washington and Lincoln. As I was reading your post, it made me think of a boy in my class who was absolutely infatuated when we were studying presidents. To this day, he still checks out Washington and Lincoln books from the school library. I bet this book would really interest him and others as well. Like yourself, I love knowing the "little" things about famous people. All in all, I guess these things are not that "little." They're what makes each person unique and kids would probably remember these facts.

Tricia said...

Thanks for posting on this book! I think it is fantastic to have all of these blogs because now I have a growing list of recommended books to include in my non-existent classroom library. I'm really glad you included the features that you liked, and didn't like, from the book. Do you use the Time for Kids weekly "magazine" with your students? I am glad that the book includes interesting facts about each president. I tend to forget the "minor" presidents, but if I had some interesting fact to connect to them, it might be easier for me to remember them.